Every year, the girls and I make some kind of gift to give their grandparents (because homemade gifts are like crack to grandparents). The past two years, we’ve made ornaments (and I always have them make an extra set of ornaments for our tree too).
- In 2012, we did footprint/handprint salt dough ornaments that Lucy and I painted red.
- In 2013, Lucy and Olivia made popsicle stick frames that we added our Santa pictures to.
With 8 days left until Christmas, I just realized I hadn’t thought about what their gift would be this year. The girls decided they wanted to make ornaments as their gifts again this year, so like any Pinterest addict, I started searching for easy ornaments that the girls could make (with a little help from Mom). There are so many cute options out there but some of them require more talent than this mom has.
I’m leaning towards doing one of these 5 choices, which seem pretty simple and easy for the kids to do/help with. I’m under no illusion that our ornaments will look as ‘fancy’ as some of these but they’re special because they’re made with love (if I wanted fancy I would go to the store and buy fancy ornaments). I’ll post a quick tutorial and pics of our final ornaments after Christmas (so as not to spoil the surprise).
5 DIY ornaments for kids to make
- Glitter Cookie Cutter Ornaments, Centsational Girl
- Pom Pom Wreath Photo Ornaments, Sheknows
- Scrabble Christmas Ornaments, Mom 4 Real
- Popsicle Stick Ornaments, Hands on as we grow
- Block Photo Ornaments, Crafting Chicks
Head on over to my gifts kids can make Pinterest board for more ornament and gift ideas that kids can make (with a little help from Mom or Dad).